San Antonio rallies to save symphony

Tue Jan 09, 2018 at 4:29 pm

The San Antonio Symphony may see a second life yet.

Last week the symphony board voted to suspend operations on January 7 following last weekend’s concerts led by music director Sebastian Lang-Lessing. Symphony board chair Alice Viroslav resigned Thursday night. 

In a show of civic support Mayor Ron Nirenberg and Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff appeared at Saturday night’s San Antonio Symphony concert at the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts.

New board chair Kathleen Vale told the San-Antonio Express News that that board had reversed the decision to cancel the rest of the orchestra’s season and is now exploring continuing with a modified concert schedule.

Vale said $400,000 in new pledges had been made and that talks were continuing on where the orchestra goes from here.

Leave a Comment